LEGAL DISCIPLINES: CONTRACT LAW, COPYRIGHT LAW, BUSINESS LAW, AND TRADEMARK LAW
AREA: FILM, TV, BROADWAY SHOWS, AND STAGE PLAYS
Copyright law protects dramatic works, motion pictures and other audiovisual works. This means that your reality shows, motion pictures, stage plays, i.e., Broadway Shows, are protected as long as they are fixed in a tangible medium of expression.
Even though copyright law protects original works of authorship from the moment of its inception, it is noteworthy that registering your copyright offers significant benefits:
- Copyright registration is required before an alleged infringer can be sued in court.
- Copyright registration creates a public record of your copyright.
- If you make your work within five years of publication, copyright registration will be prima facie evidence in court of the validity of the copyright and the facts stated in the certificate.
- If you register your work within three months of publication or prior to infringement of your work, the copyright owner can ask for statutory damages and attorney’s fees. Otherwise, the copyright owner is only entitled to actual damages and profits.
- Copyright registration allows the copyright owner to record the registration with the U.S. Customs, which allows the U.S. Customs to prevent infringing copies from being imported into the United States.
I can perform the following services:
- Develop a strategy for managing and protecting your IP portfolio and advise you on the steps to take to successfully carry your idea from inception to production, including financing and risk management.
- Register your films, TV shows, or Broadway shows with the Copyright Office.
- Draft agreements such as nondisclosure agreements and agreements with the production crew.
- Protect your idea via contract
- Advise you on budgeting and draft agreements related to production issues, such as location agreements and distribution agreements.